We are moving in 2 days…still can’t believe it. The past month has flown by so quickly. I love the house we currently live in, but we’ve definitely out-grown it. I had to take one last opportunity to bake something before we go because I know it might be a while (maybe a week???) before I bake something at the new house ;-)
I was browsing Pinterest and a friend of mine pinned a recipe for Coconut Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars…let’s just say coconut and toffee are amazing. These bars are definitely not a lite affair…lots of butter, sugar and other sweet goodness. Don’t say I didn’t warn you if an extra pound creeps on ;-)
First you combine the flour, oats, coconut and brown sugar and mix on low speed, until combined.
Add in 1 cup of butter (yes, that is 2 sticks…insane, but super delish).
Add in 1 egg, lightly beaten.
You really can’t go wrong with a recipe that calls for these 2 ingredients, right?! I did *try* to make it healthier by getting fat free sweetened condensed milk.
The recipe also calls for these little buggers. Toffee is an ultimate favorite of mine. I’m sure many people don’t like it because it gets stuck in their teeth…doesn’t bother me a bit.
This is how your crust should look after baking it for 10 min.
Here is the final pan of greatness. Too bad you have to let it cool before indulging :(
There might be a slight nibble taken out of the one corner. I tend to lose self-control every once in a while :-) These bars will do that to you. Here’s the recipe (my changes are in red and if you click the heading, it will take you to the direct site I found the recipe):
Coconut Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups flaked coconut (I used about 2.5 cups…love coconut)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup and it was plenty)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (I actually forgot to add these, but they still tasted amazing!)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
- 1/4 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 8 ounces toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, oats, coconut, and brown sugar in a large bowl of electric mixer and mix at low speed.
- Add butter and continue mixing until a crumbly dough forms. Add egg and continue mixing well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Reserve 1-1/2 cups of dough for topping. Press remaining dough into bottom of a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup in a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour evenly over hot crust.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Top evenly with reserved crust mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool and cut into bars.
2 Replies to “Coconut Craving and a Tad of Chocolate”
I absolutely have to try these! What’s not to like about toffee, coconut and chocolate chips. These sound wonderful or maybe I’m just hungry. Thanks, Lisa!
You’re welcome :) I had to freeze over half of the pan to keep from eating them all!