We’re soaking up the last bits of summer and I couldn’t be happier. I’m just craving Fall to arrive in the worst way. I see so much Autumn decor online, in magazines and in stores that I wish it were here already. Sadly, I’ll have to wait at least another month for jeans/t-shirts, homemade soups and pies, slippers and blankets. Hopefully, It will be here before ya know it ;)
“I wish they would stay little a while longer.” “If I could just freeze time.” These are just some of the phrases I hear people say all of the time. I don’t know why, but I just don’t feel that way. I look forward to each and every milestone. I am thankful that I get to wake up every morning and experience a new day with all of my kiddos. As I get older, I realize that life is a gift. I definitely don’t take it for granted. It seems like I’m always reading about someone whose life ended just a bit too early. It’s sad and depressing and unfortunately, real life. Besides, does any one really want to relive the teething phase???
This little guy turns 1 next week and I’m so incredibly excited. He’s so close to walking. I can’t wait until he toodles around the house. The little pitter patter of baby feet on the tile is such an adorable sound.
More rolls than a bakery…yummy ;)
As soon as we walk in the door from picking up the big girl after school, the fighting begins. These two are at each other’s throats and it drives me nuts. I think it’s a combination of she being around other kids all day and he having me (almost) all to himself while she’s away. I’m just thankful that we can now go outside in the late afternoon without melting. They appear to get along better outdoors :)
I’m also looking forward to cooking more “lavish” meals, if you will. I just don’t cook a lot during the hot summer months. None of us are interested in a 3-course meal. Last night, I wanted something light and healthy to eat, so I made this quinoa salad. It’s super simple and so good! The lime juice, cumin and fresh cilantro blend nicely and give it a refreshing flavor. I will definitely make this again. I can’t wait to get back into the kitchen (no hubby, not where I belong…ahem) and share more recipes with you all. Enjoy!
Zesty Quinoa Salad (recipe also found here)
- 1 c quiona
- 2 c water
- 1/4 c EVOO
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste (I left these out for kiddos sake.)
- 1 1/2 c halved cherry tomatoes (I used romas.)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 green onions, finely chopped (I used red onion, but would have preferred green.)
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
- Combine quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, and green onions together in a bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator. (I chilled mine for an hour to let the flavors soak in.)